The Sociology Department at Washington State University awards more than ten Scholarships, Fellowships, and Awards each year to recognize or foster outstanding graduate student research, instruction, and other achievements. Each scholarship and award reflects the interests and desires of its donor. In most cases awards are at least $500 to $1000, but they vary based on merit of application and availability of funds. Graduate student research is funded by the Dissertation Award, the Morgan Fellowship, and the Yoder Fellowship. These grants provide funds for data-gathering projects and to conduct field and archival research that might not otherwise be possible. The James F. Short Research Award recognizes exemplary graduate student research. Excellence in graduate student instruction is conferred by the DeMartini Teaching Award; teaching excellence is fostered by a DeMartini Grant for travel to attend teaching-related workshops and conference sessions. Other awards encourage diversity of backgrounds and interests, fund travel to present research, and otherwise support graduate student scholarship.
All eligible graduate students are welcome to apply for Sociology Department scholarships and awards at the beginning of Spring semester; awards are announced in April.
Award Announcement Procedure
Award winners will be notified by the Department Chair and will be recognized at the Department’s annual spring banquet.
Students applying for awards must be continuing in the program in the upcoming academic year.
• All applications should be submitted electronically as PDF files (please do not submit as Word files or email files)
• All applications should be accompanied by a link to a recent CV (in PDF Form) that includes the names and dates of previous awards.
• Submit application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. on the first Monday of March each year. Place “Sociology scholarship application” in the email subject line.
• Label your application with your last name and the name of the scholarship like this: Yoder Fellowship_your last name
Information and Application forms for Graduate Sociology Scholarships & Awards
The Susan & Sarah Dolan Memorial Scholarship
Quick Links to Additional Funding Opportunities
- WSU Graduate & Professional Student Association (GPSA) Travel Grant
- WSU GPSA Excellence Awards
- WSU McNair Scholar Achievement Program
- WSU Graduate School Funding Opportunities
- General grant information for WSU graduate students
- WSU Student Financial Services
- National Science Foundation Sociology Program
- American Sociological Association: Grants and Fellowships