The Sociology Department at Washington State University awards scholarships, fellowships, and awards each year to recognize or foster outstanding graduate student research, instruction, and other achievements. Each scholarship and award reflects the interests and desires of its donor. Award amounts vary based on merit of application and availability of funds.
All eligible graduate students are welcome to apply for Sociology Department scholarships and awards. Applicants must be continuing in the program in the upcoming academic year.
Award Announcement Procedure
Unless otherwise stated, the Awards Committee will review all applications and select winning applicants. Award winners will be notified by the Department Chair and recognized at the department’s annual spring awards ceremony.
- All applications should be submitted electronically as PDF files.
- The application should include your name, email address, and link to a current CV.
- Unless otherwise stated, submit all application materials to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on the first Monday of March. Place “Sociology scholarship application” in the email subject line.
- Label your application with your last name and the name of the scholarship.
Awards by nomination only (no application)
- Minority Student Fellowship
- First Year Award
Awarding Promising Research & Academic Excellence
- James F. Short, Jr. Research Award
- John Wardwell Alumni Scholarship
- Gordon D. and Izola P. Morgan Graduate Fellowship in Sociology
- Fred R. Yoder Memorial Graduate Fellowship in Sociology
- The Ann Madsen Depew Memorial Fund
- Paul and Bessie Landis Scholarship
Awarding Teaching Excellence
Awarding Excellence in Community Service
Awards available outside of the spring awards cycle (see Appendix B of the Graduate Handbook for application process. Although these awards are not named in the appendix, the department will use them to fund suitable student requests.)
- Karen Jennison and Kenneth Johnson Travel Award
Quick Links to Additional Funding Opportunities
- WSU Graduate & Professional Student Association (GPSA) Travel Grant
- WSU GPSA Excellence Awards
- WSU McNair Scholar Achievement Program
- WSU Graduate School Funding Opportunities
- WSU CAS Scholarship and Fellowship Support for graduate students
- General grant information for WSU graduate students
- WSU Student Financial Services
- National Science Foundation Sociology Program
- American Sociological Association: Grants and Fellowships
- American Sociological Association Travel Award to ASA Conference