Academic advising plays a valuable role in the success of our undergraduates. Sociology’s Academic Coordinators Douglas Juneau (Pullman) and Lindy Volk (Vancouver) – whose contact information is provided below – work with all students who are interested in sociology in addition to students who are certified sociology majors and minors. They are happy to speak with high school students considering sociology as a field of study, first year WSU students who have not decided on a specific major, and transfer students from community college or four year universities.
Academic advising in the Department of Sociology assists with students with:
- Course selection: All students at WSU must meet with an academic advisor to discuss courses to take for the upcoming semester and to review the student’s academic progress; the student’s academic advising hold is released after this advising meeting.
- Developing a program of study: Many students find it useful to meet with their advisor to draft a “road map,” or “program of study,” to guide them toward the successful completion of their undergraduate degree; a program of study is crafted around the student’s academic goals and post graduate plans.
- Internships, research opportunities, study abroad: There are many opportunities throughout a student’s undergraduate education for valuable experiential learning beyond the classroom. Students find it helpful to discuss internship options, opportunities to work with faculty to conduct research, and studying abroad with their advisor for information on resources and to include experiential learning in the program of study.
- Career planning and graduate school: It is important to discuss graduate school and career plans well before graduation! Because our advisors work with sociology students throughout their undergraduate education at WSU, they are able to integrate a student’s future goals into her/his program of study to provide a successful transition to graduate school or launching a career.
Contact information for our academic coordinators:
- Douglas J. Juneau: email@example.com; (509) 335-4597; Johnson Tower 401; WSU Pullman
- Lindy Volk: firstname.lastname@example.org; (360) 546-9475; Life Sciences (VSCI) 130; WSU Vancouver; website.